Saturday 23 May 2009

Just fuck off

Since I was a child, I've set myself a couple of humble yet admirable tasks for me to do in this lifetime. To lead a rich life and to attain some sort of understanding of the world in which I'm living. Maybe I'm not clever enough, maybe I'm defeatist, but this seems utterly impossible nowadays.

I'm still busy reading the classics, and they just keep coming. I'm halfway through romantic literature, not even started with post-modern and don't think I'll ever scratch the surface of world literature. I am yet to learn the ins and outs of politics and economics. History is still a blurry, patchy mess in my head. Chemistry has long faded from memory since I tackled it at GCSE, and now I've got to learn a whole new set of crap about html, pointing nameservers and acquiring EPP codes for domains.

I get the feeling the world is getting bigger again.

I try to keep abreast with current affairs, but I can't for the life of me figure out where these events led from. Then I'm told that it's all fake and that for the truth I need to go to freemasons-rule-the-world.com, the-eu-is-actually-the-sith-empire-from-star-wars.org, the-truth-in-the-most-boring-and-unbroken-down-way.net. And upon all of this I've got to keep on top of my favourite artists, who relentlessly churn out more and more music, movies and books. They write faster than I can read and release more DVDs than I can watch and "oh fucking great, it all comes with the crap they left out and a supporting website with over four hundred hours of behind the scenes footage!"

And this is the stuff I'm looking for- trying to absorb!

Everyone has a video or a photo or an upcoming event. How can I possibly keep up with 7 billion people and all their news and precious updates? Their fucking updates and blogs! Their podcasts and youtube channels and their fucking twits! And then they've got to go one better and record their fucking farts on audioboo. And if the world wasn't saturated enough they go and mime songs! Not invent songs, but waste your precious time making you watch them talentlessly jump around their crappy bedroom and pretend they're singing a song you've already wasted time hearing before. They put it all on facebook and bebo and myspace, msn, lastfm. It's all there for me to go and find on podbean and vimeo and photobucket, flickr and twitter.

And then there is the whole "being fans of things". Fans of "Oasis", of "Peter Kay", "sex", "going out with friends", "not being on fire", "looking slightly to the left", "being a tedious cunt on the internet!"

Well, here's my blog entry. Add it to the heap of useless, inane bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment